Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Spinach Artichoke Pasta


I made this entirely from scratch! I bought some fresh artichokes and boiled them for about 20 minutes or so, and cleaned up and cut them up and set them aside. I made a cream sauce out of cashew hemp cheese, which I made a couple days before this dish (recipe at end). I used my spirdoodle to make wide noodles out of a yellow squash, which I sauteed lightly in a little olive oil, and then wilted some fresh spinach over. I tossed with my artichokes and set aside to make my cream sauce for over them. I put some of my "cheese" in a sauce pan with a splash of unsweetened coconut milk (So Delicious brand), a little sea salt, some fresh ground pepper, a good shake of dried parsley (use fresh if you have it), and simmered for a few minutes, stirring, until smooth and creamy. Then I poured it over my veggies and tossed it all together, and OMG was it good! I can't wait to make this dish for my sister! It's gonna blow her mind! She won't believe there's no grain or dairy in this this! (I love when I get that OMG you can't eat this! What are you doing? reaction! ;)

Cashew Hemp Cheese

1 cup raw cashews (if you can't have cashews, try pine nuts)
2-3 TBLS shelled hemp seed (optional...adds omegas)
a little water
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp lemon juice (optional)

Soak the nuts for at least 2 hours, or up to 6 hours. You don't want to soak them too long because they'll get too soggy and your cheese won't have a very good texture to it. After they are done soaking, drain the water off. Put everything in a food processor/blender, starting with very little water. (filtered or any clean water is best.) You only want enough liquid to keep the gears moving. It should be like a thick nut butter! Once it's processed to a nice smooth, but thick consistency, scoop it all into a container and put a lid on it and set it in the middle of the table or someplace where it won't be messed with. Let it ferment at room temp for 24-48 hours. The refrigerate and use within a week. Alternately, for an aged cheese, you can put it in the food dehydrator for a day. I haven't experimented with this idea yet, but I've heard it works well!

Enjoy! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment